Starting a Business Step 8 - Statutory Regulations
All businesses need to comply with local and national statutory regulations. These apply to the following areas:
- Health and Safety
- Trading Standards
- Business Rates
- Planning and Building
- Food Safety
- Environmental Protection
- Fire and Safety
- Business and Commercial Waste
By clicking on the links above you will be taken to Better Business for All (BBfA) service pages on the Growth Hub. Here you will find all the information you need to ensure your business is compliant.
Better Business for All
BBfA is part of a national government initiative to reduce the regulatory burden on business by: building a relationship between business and regulators; highlighting the benefits of regulations; and encouraging more businesses to seek advice without fear of enforcement activity. In building such a partnership, a better way of working can be established, based on trust, which is mutually beneficial to all.
Better Business for All seeks to:
- offer business-led improvements to regulation
- support business growth and create a level playing field for businesses
- establish a positive relationship between business and regulators
- reduce both the perceived and real regulatory burden on business.
- listen to businesses’ needs and act it in an open and transparent way
- help shape the way support is provided by local regulators to businesses
- ensure the law is complied with
- protect a business’s customers and reputation.
- create an environment where businesses feel confident to seek advice from local regulators without fear of attracting enforcement activity.
- provide a source of free, impartial and up-to-date support and advice for businesses.
Better Business for All recognises that businesses that comply with regulations can be at a commercial disadvantage if a rigorous enforcement approach is not taken with non-compliant businesses. It is important that regulators are consistent and continue to take enforcement action when necessary in a fair and transparent way. This ensures both a level playing field for businesses as well as public protection.
Better Business for All - details regarding how BBfA works
Download a PDF of this page
Growth Hub engagement officers can offer you up to 12 hours free advice and assistance. If you would like to contact the Growth Hub team or arrange a call back to discuss starting a business click here.