Business Waste and Recycling Advice
Any waste that comes from a commercial activity is business waste. If you use part of your home to run your business then any waste from that part is business waste.
You will need to contract your local council’s waste department or a private waste removal company to remove waste safely and responsibly from your property.
Your local authority will specialise in waste removal for small and medium sized businesses that some larger private firms may not cater for.
Direct impacts on your business
Remember it is your responsibility to ensure that whoever takes away your waste disposes of it legally.
- keep waste to a minimum by doing everything you reasonably can to prevent, reuse, recycle or recover waste (in that order) - get help to do this
- sort and store waste safely and securely
- complete a waste transfer note for each load of waste that leaves your premises
- check if your waste carrier is registered to dispose of waste
- not allow the waste carrier to dispose of your waste illegally (and report them to Crimestoppers if they do)
You have extra responsibilities if you’re dealing with hazardous waste.