Trading standards advice
Your local trading standards team assist businesses seeking information about their legislative duties and promote compliance with trade regulations on a wide range of matters. These include:
• What you sell – goods, digital and services
• Where you sell – on your on-premises, off-premises and distance sales
• How you sell – consumer contracts, good practice, pricing and payments
• Other topics – underage sales, food and drink (labelling, composition), weights/ measures and product safety
Direct impacts on your business
It is your legal obligation to ensure compliance with all relevant legislation. Failure to do so could result in enforcement action by your local authority.
Resources you should know about
- Business companion
- Buy with Confidence - The council's trader approval scheme
- Primary authority partnership (check with your local trading standards team to see if they run this scheme)
To access local information on trading standards please visit you local council. Details can be found through the Hub.