Business and commercial waste

Business and commercial waste advice


Any waste that comes from a commercial activity is business waste. If you use part of your home to run your business then any waste from that part is business waste.

You will need to contract your local council’s waste department or a private waste removal company to remove waste safely and responsibly from your property.

Your local authority will specialise in waste removal for small and medium sized businesses that some larger private firms may not cater for.

Business and Commercial Waste

It is your responsibility to ensure that whoever takes away your waste disposes of it legally. 

You must:

There are extra responsibilities if you’re dealing with hazardous waste.

Hazardous waste includes:

  • Asbestos
  • Chemicals, such as brake fluid or print toner
  • Batteries
  • Solvents
  • Pesticides
  • Oils (except edible ones), such as car oil
  • Equipment containing ozone depleting substances, like fridges
  • Hazardous waste containers

It is illegal to mix hazardous waste win non-hazardous waste or a different hazardous waste.

Your local council can help and advise you in a number of ways.

They can:

  • Advise you on how to keep waste to a minimum by doing everything you reasonably can to prevent, reuse, recycle or recover waste.
  • Visit your premises to assess the likely amount of waste your business activities will produce
  • Help you dispose of waste, although there is no obligation for you to use council waste services.
  • Advise on waste compliance measures and enforcement

You can contact your local council’s Business Waste team through their website.

Bath and North East Somerset


North Somerset

South Gloucestershire


Employer responsibilities employed contracts

Employer responsibilities and tax obligations for employed contracts

Recommended for you

To view recommended service

Log in