Employer responsibilities family and volunteers
As an employer, the tax and employment responsibilities you have for your staff will depend on the type of contract you give them and their employment status.
If you hire family members you must:
- avoid special treatment in terms of pay, promotion and working conditions.
- make sure tax and National Insurance contributions (NICs) are still paid.
- follow working time regulations for younger family members.
- have employer’s liability insurance that covers any young family members.
Volunteers and voluntary staff
When taking on volunteers or voluntary staff you:
- are responsible for their health and safety.
- must give inductions and training in the tasks they’re going to do.